Seeking Compensation on Behalf of an Injured Minor

Spread the love

Caring for a minor also includes making sure that minor is fairly compensated when he or she is injured as a result of someone else’s negligence. Sometimes, though, seeking compensation on behalf of an injured minor isn’t easy.

The law tends to assume minors don’t possess the same judgment as adults, so the rules regarding liability and compensation for accidents that involve children can be complicated. If you are considering seeking a settlement on behalf of a minor who was injured, there are some things you should know and be prepared for.Injuries to Children

In most states, a minor is defined as anyone younger than eighteen. The process of pursuing compensation on behalf of a minor varies by state.

Typically, a minor has the right to be compensated for disability, permanent injury, and pain and suffering in the same way as an adult. For example, if your child was injured in a car accident that was someone else’s fault, he or she would be entitled to compensation.

Additionally, the parent of the child involved has a right to be compensated for any medical bills he or she pays on the child’s behalf.

Negotiating on Behalf of a Minor

In most cases, a child will not have the legal ability to negotiate a claim. Therefore, a parent or legal guardian is usually allowed to negotiate on the child’s behalf.

However, some states require the parent to obtain the approval of a judge before a minor’s claim can be settled. This is generally a straightforward process, but a qualified personal injury lawyer can help expedite it.

Settlements for Children

Knowing who to trust when you decide to pursue compensation on behalf of your injured child can be difficult. Insurance companies and parties representing the other side won’t always have the best interests of you and your family in mind.

That’s why it’s usually best to consult a personal injury attorney who has experience with children. A personal injury attorney with the Law Offices of Casey D. Shomo will work to get the settlement offer that is best for your child.